The Mia sized version of the Boudreaux sized blog. This is mostly a BACK UP BLOG and a smaller version for smaller screens if the main blog is too hard to navigate. For complete posts, giveaways, corrected grammar and punctuation, the "rest of the story" and any additional posts that might not make it over here for some reason, please check the BOUDREAUX SIZED BLOG :-).

If at all possible, please use the main blog.


Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Yarn Along - Another Liddy Shawl

I wanted to have a fun knitting project to work on while I helped Liddy get used to living in the barn last week.  I always like to try a pattern with something new to me and this time picked a ruffle.  The yarn is some beautiful Cotswold yarn from Nistock Farms and the pattern is Jadyn Shire by Lynn di Christina.

Liddy and I worked on the shawl together or I should probably say I knit and Liddy tried to steal and chew on the needles and rip everything back out.  We worked in the B A R N and out in the paddock. After a day or so I added Blossom to the mix  and then several days later added Lila in, too.  And by the end of the week Liddy was pretty well set and I had a new shawl and a couple of new skills :-).


I started the shawl a few days before we moved to the barn.  I did get a little faster knitting with this project, but not a 'shawl in a week' faster ;-).


Here's where things got a bit disappointing.  The shawl started at the top center and built down, back and forth, longer and longer.  Doing this left a big hump at the top - actually way taller than it looks here.  I should have taken the picture looking down on it instead of at an angle that minimized it...  I was sure it would never block out straight.  Still, you know I loves to block me some knitting ;-).


Even if it didn't need an aggressive block, after spending a week in the barn with Liddy, it needed a good wash.  I used fairly hot water and my favorite Mrs. Meyer's lavender laundry soap.  I let it soak a good long time - around 25 minutes - changed the water and let it soak again, changed the water and added a tiny bit of lavender fabric softener and gave it a final rinse.  Wrapped it in a towel and headed to the porch.


I again used my dee-lux insulation boards and floral pins.  I keep toying with getting a set of blocking wires, but for now, these work just fine.  I started at the top by pulling the right and left tight enough that the top line became straight, pinning as I went.  I then pulled down the bottom center and pinned that.  I then started working my way out on each side until magically it all laid flat and smooth and...


... straight!  Honestly, I was a bit surprised.  I really didn't think that would work.


I wasn't sure how to block the ruffle so I just futzed around with it a bit and let it do what it wanted.  I think it looks pretty good but would welcome some better suggestions.



Pats on the back for everyone :-D.

After listening to A Man Called Ove (now twice), I could hardly wait for the release of Fredrick Backman's new book, My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry.  I listened to the audio sample on Audible and was a little concerned.  I thought about getting the actual book and just reading it myself, but really wanted something to listen to while I knitted.  Not to worry.  The reader was wonderful.  They just picked an odd spot to sample.  The story was fabulous!  

Joining in with Ginny...



No comments: